Many of you know that our “plan” for the year was to be in Sudan (Khartoum) studying Sudanese Arabic this year. We had an apartment all lined up, a school picked out for the kids and for us and were just awaiting visas. We were surprised to arrive in Nairobi without word of our visas as they should have come through. This past week due to some unrest the school we were attending was forced to close and all visas obtained through the school became invalid. We are glad we were not in country when this happened as it is one less transition for our family but this places our family at a what to do crossroads much sooner then we had expected. We know we will be heading somewhere in the red circle in the coming months to immerse ourselves in Arabic but the options before us are complicated and different then planned (I would say less then ideal but who are we to judge what God has in store?).
News of next steps will come first through email then through this website so let us know if you want to be added to our weekly prayer warriors team 🙂
During this time our mantra is “wherever you are be with all your heart” we are diving into language on our own, learning some key Swahili and building relationships here as we live here and embracing all that God has for us in this time. The unknown is very unclear and we ask for great wisdom and unison among us and our team about next steps for us. We truly believe speaking the language is going to be a significant part of what God has for us so that remains a priority.
Our end destination is still South Sudan it is the road toward effective language learning that is now in question.
The wonderful thing about obedience to the God who sees, the God who knows is that when plans change he does not so there is great security moving forward.